Analytics

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pinbook... (Pinterest + Facebook)


PinBook

The two websites that I frequent on a desktop are Pinterest & Facebook. Most other sites that I use have mobile versions or apps, i.e., news sites, fantasy football, etc. Facebook and Pinterest both have apps and mobile versions, but I prefer to use the desktop versions because I can get through more material faster! 
www.facebook.com
www.pinterest.com

Why are they effective? 

Facebook: Though they have changed their interface multiple times, and each time the public reacts unfavorable, eventually, everyone gets used to the idea and stops complaining. Facebook has organized the site into 4 columns: a left aligned dashboard, The Wall aka The Feed of information posted by people you follow, Friend's Birthdays and events, and your Chat Window. If you are bored, you scroll through the feed, if you want to talk to someone, you look in your Chat Window. It is easy to navigate to anything you want to accomplish. 

Pinterest: Pinterest is effective because you can scroll seeing images. Once an image catches your eye, you can "pin" it to a board of your choosing for future review. Each image is a link to (hopefully) a website where you can buy it, or a blog- where you can learn more about it. Pinterest has recently changed their mobile versions to have a 3 prong option when you clock on the image, asking if you want it pinned, shared, or to 'like' it. The desktop version has the 3 same options just as buttons when you scroll over the picture. I prefer the desktop version, I feel I can pin more, FASTER!

What specific principles of good design do they include and why?

Both Facebook & Pinterest have linear designs, which are visually very easy-to-use for me. 

What makes you come back again?

I enjoy the content of both Facebook & Pinterest. They both are personally catered to myself: Facebook for my friends & family and Pinterest for my interests. 

What could be improved?

Pinterest may benefit if when you choose which board you want it pinned to that it would auto-pin. Currently you select the board you want to pin the item to, then you need to hit a "Pin" button to complete the action. Although, this could be a pain-in-the-tush if you accidentally select the wrong board, then you may have the horrific situation of pinning an Apple Pie recipe on your Health & Fitness board! 

Facebook- I'm still not the biggest fan of the current interface, but I won't be too upset because they will undoubtably change it again, confusing us all when they do. I personally don't like the "People You May Know" area, but you can design your site ALMOST to be what you want it to be. Also, I think the advertisements are annoying, but I get it... it wouldn't be free if they weren't there! 

The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment